North America Engine Core Warranty Extension
Partly for public relations, partly for emissions compliance, Mazda extended the Powertrain warranty coverage on the engine core components from 5 years 60,000 miles to 8 years 100,000 miles. This applies to ALL RX-8, regardless of model year.
Go to: Mazdausa.com -> Owners menu, Warranty option (Emphasis below is mine)
Powertrain Limited Warranty
Mazda warrants that the Powertrain Components of new Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items, adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and certain other items are excluded. This “limited warranty” is transferable during the warranty period on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.
RX-8 Rotary Engine Core Limited Warranty Extension
Mazda Motor Corporation is extending the warranty coverage on Rotary Engine Core Components on all RX-8 vehicles produced after the 2004 model year
. The warranty coverage for the Rotary Engine Core Components is extended to 8 years (96 months) from the original warranty start date, with a 100,000 mileage limitation. The following is a list of components covered by this warranty:
- Rotary Engine Core
- Rotary Housing and Internal Parts
- Internal Seals and Gaskets
- THIS IS NOT A RECALL! People often mistakenly refer to the warranty extension as a recall, but it is not.
- This is an extension of an existing warranty. It works like any other warranty. Owners need to meet the same requirements for this warranty as any other warranty. I.E Maintenance records, proof of a problem, etc...
- The expiration date depends on when the car was first sold. If your car sat on the original dealer's lot for a year, it postpones the start of the warranty by the same amount. My 2005 wasn't sold until September of 2006, so my 8 year mark was pushed back to September of 2014. There are a few rare cases where the car's warranty period started before the car was sold, such as if the dealer registered it for use as a dealer vehicle.